Extensive Career in the Tobacco Industry
Zielinski joined PMI Poland in 1991 as a merchandiser and has held various leadership positions, including:
- President, Reduced Risk Products (2015 – 2017)
- President, Eastern Europe, Middle East Region and Africa Region, and PMI Duty Free (2010 – 2015)
- President, Latin America and Canada (2003 – 2010)
- Managing Director, Worldwide Duty Free (2002)
- Managing Director of PMI’s Ukrainian affiliate (1999)
PMI Sponsorship Deal with Ferrari: ‘Mission Winnow’
In his capacity as President Science & Innovation, Zielinski was part of the company’s October 2018 unveiling of PMI and Scuderia Ferrari’s rebranded partnership, named ‘Mission Winnow’. PMI has sponsored Formula One company Ferrari since 1984, with the tobacco company’s flagship cigarette brand Marlboro being Ferrari’s title sponsor since 1997.
- Also see: Advertising Strategy.
The ‘Mission Winnow’ launch followed PMI’s media campaign promoting the company’s new ‘commitment’ to design a smoke-free future. Zielinski told media that:
- “Mission Winnow is about how we are transforming as a company, what we believe in and the way we work to enable a better future. Scuderia Ferrari is the ideal partner for Mission Winnow because of the team’s passion for innovation and drive to constantly improve in the quest for victory.”
Zielinksi further stated that PMI launched Mission Winnow in the Formula One sport, "because motorsport fans understand there is no reverse gear in racing, only forward thinking and we believe they will want to share this vision.”
- Phillip Morris International, Our Leadership Team, undated, accessed October 2018
- The New York Times, PMI and Scuderia Ferrari Look to the Future with Mission Winnow A Shared Pursuit for Excellence and Innovation Drive Long-Running Partnership, 4 October 2018, accessed October 2018
- Philip Morris International, How long will PMI be in the cigarette business, 2018, accessed November 2018