Difference between revisions of "Foundation for a Smoke-Free World People"
Latest revision as of 15:07, 19 August 2019
This is a list of the management, board of directors, previous staff and other key personnel associated with the Foundation for a Smoke-Free World
- Derek Yach leads the Foundation and is the former Head of the World Health Organization’s (WHO) Tobacco Free Initiative. He was also Senior Vice President of Global Health and Agriculture Policy at PepsiCo.
- Jim Lutzweiler is Vice President of Agriculture and Livelihoods at the Foundation, and former Senior Director of Global Public Policy at PepsiCo.
- David Janazzo is Vice President of Industry Transformation and Finance.
- Ehsan Latif is the Foundation’s Vice President for Grant Management and Development (previously Program Director Health and Smoking Control). Latif formerly worked for the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease.
- Brian Erkkila is the Foundation's Vice President for Health, Science and Technology. Prior to that he spent seven years at the US Food and Drug Administration's Center for Tobacco Products.
- Nicole Bradley is the Foundation’s Vice President for Communications (formerly Director for Communications). Bradley spent six years at Pepsi managing their media relations.
- Heather Majewski is the Foundation’s Vice President for Shared Initatives (formally ‘Global Initiatives’ and prior to that’ Global Services’.
Board of Directors
- Dyborn Chibonga is Regional Head for Malawi and Mozambique at the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA). Chibonga was also on the Board of Directors of the African Institute of Corporate Citizenship (AICC) from 2010.
- Zoe Feldman is the Managing Director at Almanac Investments, who previously worked for PepsiCo for eight years.
- Paul Gardiner is the former Chairman of advertising firm Grey Group Australia and New Zealand, a WPP company. Since 2012 he runs his own business consulting company, specialising in “branding and marketing communications as well as greenfield start-ups in Australia and overseas”.
- Darshita Gillies is also a Director at Blu Dot Advisory and Founder and CEO of Maanch, a platform which ‘matches donors and charities’ to work towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Corinna Lathan is the founder and CEO of AnthroTronix Inc, an engineering research and development company that develops products “in digital health, wearable technology, robotics, and augmented reality”. 
- Pamela Parizek, the Vice Chair of the Foundation’s board is the Managing Director at The Claro Group consultancy. Parizek has previously worked for KPMG, and Kroll Inc, a corporate investigations and risk consultancy firm.
- Noriko Tojo is Executive Director of Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd., and President and Representative Director of Otsuka Medical Devices Co., Ltd.
The appointed Board has no known direct tobacco industry links. In an open letter, Yach stated that the appointed Board of Directors are “subject to stringent conflicts of interest policy. No Board member can have ties to tobacco companies. The Directors will receive reimbursement for their expenses and a modest honorarium for their service”.
Previous Directors and Main Staff
- Tom Harding was the Foundation's Chief Operating Officer (previously listed as Chief Administrative Officer and Chief Financial Officer).. Harding was no longer listed on the website as of August 2019
- Martin Skancke was on the Foundation’s Board of Directors, but was no longer listed on the website as of August 2019. Skancke is the founder and General Manager of Consulting, having previously worked for the Norwegian Ministry of Finance and consultancy firm McKinsey.
- Andrew MacLeod is co-founder of Brexit Advisory Services, Visiting Professor at King’s College London in War and Security Studies, and Chair of Griffin Law. He was on the Board of Directors at the Foundation until February 2019
- Farhad Riahi was the Foundation’s Chief Health, Science and Technology Officer until 2019. Prior to that he was a Partner at consultancy firm McKinsey.
- Michael Sagner, a physician and Chairman of the European Society of Preventive Medicine, was a member of the Foundation's Board until June 2018.
- Lisa Gable was also previously a member of the Foundation’s Board, but was no longer listed as such in January 2019. Gable is a former US ambassador and Chairman Emeritus of the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation (HWCF), “a non-profit organization that aims to reduce obesity among children in the United States.” The Board of Directors of the HWCF includes executives from Nestle, PepsiCo, Coca-Cola and General Mills.
- Mica Wilson was Vice President of Marketing and Communications at the Foundation. Before this, Wilson was Director of Global health at PepsiCo. Wilson was no longer listed on the Foundation’s pages as an employee in January 2019.
- Alastair Bradstock, previously Director of the International Tobacco Control Programme at Cancer Research UK,  was working in the Health and Agriculture Team of the Foundation. Bradstock was no longer listed on the Foundation’s pages as an employee in January 2019. 
- Foundation for a Smoke-Free World: How it Frames Itself
- Foundation for a Smoke-Free World Centres of Excellence
- Philip Morris International
- Front Groups
- Influencing Science
- Influencing Science: Funding Scientists
- In 2018, the Foundation funded the Scholarship Programme of the Global Forum on Nicotine
TCRG Research Blog
- The Philip Morris-funded Foundation for a Smoke-Free World: tax return sheds light on funding activities, T.Legg, S.Peeters, P.Chamberlain, A.Gilmore, The Lancet, 6 June 2019
- Big Tobacco is funding the anti-smoking lobby but leaked documents reveal the real reason why, A. Rowell, The Conversation, 13 March 2018
- Foundation for a Smoke-Free World, , undated, accessed August 2019
- Ehsan Latif, LinkedIn profile, undated, accessed November 2017
- African Institute of Corporate Citizenship, Board Members. Board Director: Dyborn Chibonga, 2016, accessed May 2018
- Foundation for a Smoke-Free World,, undated, accessed August 2019
- R. Hicks, Former Grey boss Paul Gardner launches ‘quintessentially Melbourne’ consultancy, Mumbrella, 5 April 2013, accessed September 2018
- Darshita Gillies, LinkedIn profile, accessed January 2019
- Pamela Parizek, LinkedIn profile, accessed May 2018
- LinkedIn, Noriko Tojo, accessed January 2019
- D. Yach, An open letter on the Foundation’s independence and governance, Foundation for a Smoke-Free World Blog, 11 January 2018, accessed February 2018
- Foundation for a Smoke-Free World, Foundation leadership, 2018, accessed May 2018
- Foundation for a Smoke-Free World, Foundation leadership, 2018, accessed January 2019
- Skancke Consulting, Experience: Martin Skancke, accessed May 2018
- Better Debate, About Andrew, Andrew Macleod blog, undated, accessed June 2019
- LinkedIn, Andrew McLeod, accessed May 2018
- LinkedIn, Farhad Riahi, accessed May 2018
- Foundation for a Smoke-Free World, Board of Directors, FSFW website, archived on 14 June 2018
- Foundation for a Smoke-Free World, Minutes of a Special Meeting of the Board of Directors June 21, 2018, FSFW website, accessed September 2018
- Foundation for a Smoke-Free World,Board of Directors, FSFW website, accessed January 2019
- Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation, About, accessed March 2018
- LinkedIn, Mica Wilson, accessed May 2018
- LinkedIn, Alastair Bradstock, accessed May 2018